Fight Christian Fatigue - Just Sit There!

Are you striving for something beyond what God has said to do? Jesus told us to "abide in Him" as He abides in the Father. Paul wrote that we are changed from "glory to glory". The early Christians were first known as followers of the Way, implying a process rather than a destination. Jesus also told us to come to Him like the children. Maybe all Our Father wants is for us to be like a child in His Presence (like Mary)... no need to strive or "do" anything (like Martha) except as He directs (Luke 17:10).

Meanwhile, the original sin, committed also by Lucifer, was to become like God. I'm learning to become satisfied with the fact that God is God and I'm not... and that's a real good thing. I strive to do what's right in order to please the Father, knowing that I'm always in the process of "becoming" rather than reaching a "completion" point.

If I know that I'm in a long distance race, I can set a pace and keep going... however, if I believe that I've got to sprint, I tire myself out too early. I believe one of the ways we get exhausted in our Christian walk is by trying to sprint our way to the completion point, which is eternally beyond our grasp. As a pastor once put it to me: "Don't just do something... sit there!" The Good News is that Our Father wants a relationship with us! His Kingdom grows naturally (both in us and around us) as we just spend time with Him.

That's what pleases God most. No more striving is necessary.

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father