Scriptural Perspective on Spiritual Gifts

After writing about “Signs in the End Times Church”, I started thinking (with the help of my wife and a couple friends) that I spent more time describing how the church “shouldn’t” view spiritual gifts rather than how it “should”. Having worshiped in different denominations, I’ve heard many different teachings on the gifts of the Spirit. I’ve seen the gifts downplayed, and I’ve seen them over-emphasized. Still, I’ve also been fortunate to hear a few balanced lessons as well. Many very intelligent and faithful Christians have put a lot of thought into the development of some very different beliefs.

Well it might be a simplistic approach, but what if we just agreed to what Scripture has to say? The “Keep it simple” principle works for business, writing, or computer programming, why not apply it to spiritual understanding as well? And since some people believe the Old Testament and the New Testament treat spiritual gifts differently, in my attempt to keep it simple I’ll start with what the New Testament has to say about the gifts of the Spirit.

First, there’s a reality to the gifts.

Years ago, I moved my family from the Washington D.C. area to Orlando, FL to work at a Christian School. As I applied for the position, I was asked to describe my beliefs. Among other things, I stated that I was unashameably evangelical and unreservedly charismatic. Now “evangelical” was a good thing at this school, but “charismatic”? Not so much. During my interview with the board, a man I later grew to both like and respect asked me the question: “Have you ever manifested any extraordinary gifts of the Spirit?” If I had understood at the time what he was asking, I probably would have unwittingly built a case against being hired, providing in great detail how I had seen God work supernaturally in me and through me. The school was a ministry of a church and that particular church did not believe the extraordinary gifts were manifested anymore: prophecy, healing, tongues, interpretation of tongues, etc… the church believed only ordinary gifts were available in the present age. But I didn’t comprehend the intent of his question, and in my ignorance simply replied: “Are there any gifts of the Spirit that are truly ‘ordinary’?” Everyone laughed and the line of questions took a decidedly different direction.

So maybe it was intentional and maybe it was just God moving things to a quick confrontation, but during our first week at the church, they started a sermon series on spiritual gifts. As the definition of “extraordinary” unfolded, I finally understood the question. My wife and I decided to meet with the pastor. We took out our Bibles, thinking we would be able to discuss the church’s position, and he took out a sheet of paper that described the church’s doctrine, stating that if we had the uncontrollable desire to speak in tongues I should look for work elsewhere. There was no dialogue… no exploring what Scripture had to say… nothing but the realization that I had moved my family 19 hours from our nearest friends and family.

However, after praying about it, I decided that the pastor’s position didn’t change my belief that God had called me to be at the school, so we stayed at the church for two years before God gave us permission to move. During that time, I came to understand the church’s position better. It all hinged on two verses toward the end of the Bible:
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. (Revelation 22:18-19)
The church believed that if a person gave a prophetic word, it would be like adding to the prophecy of “this book”. But if they had looked at the Greek word for “book” more closely, they would have understood that the word did not refer to the entirety of Scripture (the Greek word “Graphe”). Rather, it described a “scroll” or “book” as in “a book of the Bible”, in this case being the Book of Revelation. So much built around a couple verses, even to the exclusion of what the rest of the New Testament says!

Ironically, the Book of Revelations inherently refutes the false doctrine that “extraordinary” gifts ceased to manifest:
And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.” These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands standing before the God of the earth. And if anyone wants to harm them, fire proceeds from their mouth and devours their enemies. And if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this manner. These have power to shut heaven, so that no rain falls in the days of their prophecy; and they have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to strike the earth with all plagues, as often as they desire. (Revelation 11:3-6)
While there can be different interpretations about the two witnesses, it’s clear they have been given extraordinary, supernatural power… and that their power is manifested after the writing of the Book of Revelation. In other words: the two witnesses demonstrate the extraordinary gifts after the Book of Revelation is written, therefore the extraordinary gifts continue to be manifested in God’s people after the writing of Revelations. So even if there could be doubt as to what John intended in his use of Greek words when he authored Revelations, there can be no doubt that he believed the gift of prophecy would continue to be manifested in believers after Revelations was completed.

Still, even if this implicit acknowledgement could somehow be explained away, there are 3 chapters from 1 Corinthians that insist upon both the reality of spiritual gifts and the importance of understanding them. It starts off with Paul’s words: “Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.” (1 Corinthians 12:1)

In more modern terms, Paul is saying: “Okay guys, listen up! I have something you need to know; it’s about spiritual gifts…”

Next: "Part 2 – Don’t Be Ignorant About Spiritual Gifts"
copyright ©2012 Mitchell Malloy (http://mitchellmalloyblogspot.com/)

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father