A Very Good Friday

35 years ago, I asked God a question: “Who was Jesus?” I did not want to just trust what others had told me no matter how well intentioned they may have been.

I had been reading a chapter per day in Psalms and on that Good Friday opened the next chapter: Psalm 22
“My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?.”
Verse 1a , Jesus' words on the cross
“They say, ‘Commit yourself to the LORD! Let the LORD rescue him! Let the LORD deliver him, for he delights in him.’"
Verse 8 - the words of the crowd, mocking Jesus
“They are dividing up my clothes among themselves; they are rolling dice for my garments.”
Verse 18 - the actions of the Roman guards

This Psalm was written 1000 years before Jesus, and if you read it you’ll find more of the crucifixion story described in it.

It was God’s answer to my sincere question, and just one example of what sets the Bible apart from all other religious books: fulfilled prophecy.

In that one answer, God showed me two things:

  1. Jesus was who He said He was and 
  2. the authenticity of Scripture
It amazes me that we don't hear more about biblical prophecy from the pulpit when over 25% of scripture is either fulfilled or unfulfilled prophecy. It's equally amazing to me that so many biblical authorities teach that unfulfilled prophecy is more figurative language than prophecy. God gave His people, Israel, a hope for the future in the prophecies of the Old Testament, leading up to the first coming of His chosen Messiah. But biblical prophecy did not stop there. 

There are many unfulfilled prophecies that are unfolding. These were given both to Israel and to the Christian Church so that we, His Elect, will stand firm in the great delusion that is coming over the world, so we will not despair or doubt or go chasing after false messiahs (Matthew 24:24). Rather, we will have the knowledge He has provided as a hope in Him: Jesus is Who He said He is!

“When these things begin to happen, stand with confidence! The time when you will be set free is near.”

copyright ©2024 Mitchell Malloy (http://mitchellmalloyblogspot.com/)

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

Challenges of a Father

The Bible and Pride Month