Friends of convenience

We all know friends of convenience:
  • They are always there for you... so long as you happen to fit into their schedule.
  • They're likely to give you a call... when they're looking for you to help them out.
  • And often they're your best friend... so long as they happen to be looking in your direction.

How often can I be a friend of convenience to others? How often am I a friend of convenience to God? Don't I wait until I want something until I press into His Presence in prayer? Aren't I faithful only when I "keep my eyes upon Jesus"? And don't I often spend time with Him only when He happens to fit into my schedule?

There is no condemnation in Christ, yet the realization of how good He is to me as compared to my half-hearted response to His friendship spurs me on to be a better friend. His example helps me love those who only treat me as a friend of convenience, allowing me to hope they will someday learn to be a better friend... just as I desire to be a better friend of God's. And it allows me to enjoy what I have, hoping it can someday become something more... just as I know that He will someday replace my "heart of flesh" with a "heart of stone", allowing me to love Him as I desire to love Him... as He deserves to be loved.

Until then, I will still love Him with all of my limited heart... all of my limited mind... and with all of my limited strength, thankful that I have a Friend Who is patiently teaching me how to truly love.

"We love because He first loved us." -1 John 4:19

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father