Prayer for Strength

In Sympathy for the children who cry,
with tantrums and screams and yelling out, "Why?"
I simply shrug an indifferent shoulder
and allow my fires of warmth to smolder.

With empathy for the people who dream
while mothers with bloodied children scream,
I rationalize: "This has always been."
But realize my own great sin.

In anger against indulgence and waste,
which seems to penetrate the human race,
I urge the sluggish to quickly make haste
and sometimes wonder at my own disgrace.

My passion for the dignity of man
and my belief in God's majestic plan
Sometimes falls prey to that which's despised
and perceptions of Truth mingle with Lies.

I pray for my soul in this storm -- stand strong,
and my faith in the Light everlasting long,
and that compassion and passion, like tides in a day,
evolve into currents which never change.

copyright ©2011 Mitchell Malloy (http://mitchellmalloyblogspot.com/)

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father