Three Verses – So Many Thoughts

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:5-8 NIV

I think back to when I first started walking with Christ, and I remember so many things: 
  • The excitement of knowing (really knowing!) that God was real and cared about me
  • The fear that God would want me to something I really didn’t want to do
  • The surrender in my heart of knowing that God is God and I’m not
It was all about a simple faith, believing that God had a plan and that I could trust Him… the realization that I didn’t have any choice but to either trust or rebel. Not much has changed in past 20-plus years. It still comes down to faith as the cornerstone; faith is what guides me, protects me and sometimes completely scares me. Every part of my life – my walk with Christ, my family, my health, and my finances – it’s all centered on simple faith. My faith is either intentionally centered on Who God is in my life, or it is centered on idolatry: either self-worship or trust in something other than God.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness…
But as James wrote, faith without works is dead. Faith grows through action, taking risks when we believe God is calling us to do something. Faith-based goodness means being vulnerable to vicious people and showing goodness to people who deserve to be treated differently. That’s hard. It means trusting in God when we see others prospering through wicked means, limiting ourselves to only the good and decent options. But if we truly trust in God’s power, if we believe in His knowledge and goodness, we know that He’ll work things out for the best when we follow His example. (Rom 8:28) “What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?” (Mark 8:36) 
and to goodness, knowledge…
But how can we follow in His goodness without learning more about Him? We can only love because He loves us first (1 John 4:19). Although it became cliché in the 90’s, “what would Jesus do?” We model our lives off of Christ, the perfect role model. As a father, I often ask the question: “How would my heavenly Father manage this situation?” I look to examples of how He has treated me with grace and mercy and I weigh that against His loving discipline. We learn through experience, and we learn through the Holy Scriptures. It amazes me how many believers will try to work out their faith without adding to their knowledge of God through what is written in scripture. It’s like trying to learn medicine without opening a book: with the right mentor, it can be done, but it’s so much harder and much less effective. It’s much easier to obey and follow Christ’s example when we have the biblical knowledge that fits the situation.
and to knowledge, self-control…
So then knowing what to do, we’re faced with the decision: will I do it? There are often so many things pulling at us, reasons to say “what if I don’t?”. Sometimes it’s not just saying no to the bad things, it’s saying no to things that would otherwise be good, they’re just not for us for the moment. Sacrificing in the moment for a better end, seeking the best over the good, we deny ourselves the immediate gratification. We exercise self-control. 

It’s easy to say “I just don’t have that kind of discipline”, remembering the many times we’ve failed along the way, giving into the pleasures of the moment. But understanding the Bible’s teachings, we lean on the knowledge that goodness and self-control are fruits of the Spirit. (Gal 5:22-23) As we spend time with God, we are changed to reflect His likeness (2 Cor 3:18), and as a loving Father encouraging His spiritual toddlers to walk, He is excited about each step we take, picking us up after every stumble, and so happy to hold our hands as we practice our walk with Him.
and to self-control, perseverance…
So here I am, more than 20 years later, re-discovering the basics in growing fascination of how patient God has been with me. Perseverance? I feel like I’ve been running a long-distance race for so long – it has been so long, I almost can’t remember what it was like before I started! There have been many times when I didn’t want to put that next foot forward, to stop and catch my breath, or to just hand the baton to another runner. That time will come, but for now, this is my race to run. And for each of us who’ve taken that first step of faith, we realize in our heart that there is no going back. It’s either forward, into the hardship and trials to find a promised victory, or we stop, regress and enter into certain defeat. So we set our eyes on the prize, casting off anything that hinders us. (Heb 12:1-3) We persevere.
and to perseverance, godliness…

That perseverance reflects the very image of Christ… did I mention Hebrews 12:1-3? 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Our steadfastness in the face of trials demonstrates our confidence in Jesus to bring us into victory, just as Jesus’ obedience reflects His trust in the Father. Like Jesus, our faithfulness will be rewarded.
and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love…

It was always Christ’s desire that we love each other. (Jn 13:34-35, 1 Th 4:9, 1 Pt 1:22, Rm 13:8) And in that love for one another, we gather with other believers and encourage each other to love and do good. (Heb 10:24-25) 
For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Now this is where I am torn. Over the past year, I have been intentional in getting together with other believers, but I have not found a church that is a good fit. I’ve encountered good churches led by solid pastors, but they have not been right for my family and I. 

To be honest, and this won’t be a surprise to anyone who knows me, I believe we’ve got the idea of “church” all wrong. We tend to be mission-minded and program-centric (read “task-oriented”) over the more important things. (Luke 10:42) The mission isn’t wrong and having programs isn’t bad, but it can interfere with the better things God has planned for us.

So I’m going to describe “church” in future blogs, both in the “what it should be” and “what it should avoid”. I believe we are entering turbulent waters in the not so distant future, and what I write is intended to keep people on the right path. Maybe the only person I’m writing this down for is myself, but it’s my hope and belief that God is directing me and that He will use this for the benefit of others.

God’s peace and blessing to all who have read this blog.

copyright ©2012 Mitchell Malloy (http://mitchellmalloyblogspot.com/)

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father