Circumcision at it's finest

"...but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is of the heart; in spirit and not in letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God."
- Romans 2:29

I have been in prayer that God circumcise my heart. There was a time when the phrase "circumcise my heart" didn't make sense to me. In fact, the whole act seemed rather embarrassingly pointless. But what doesn't make sense in the eyes of man is often complete wisdom.
 
Paul's letter to the Romans opened my eyes to circumcision as having great spiritual significance. "How", I asked God, "does one get their heart circumcised?" As I prayed about the meaning, He gently opened my eyes.
 
God is the ultimate EVERYTHING. He is not just the Creator of Science and Prose... He is the Creator of Poetry and Art. He hides meaning in symbolism at multiple levels. I don't profess to understand all of His purposes in commanding His people to be circumcised, but Romans 2:29 brings some of God's meaning into focus.
 
The act of circumcision removes unnecessary flesh from a special member of a man's body. Similarly, circumcision of the heart, removes the excess flesh from our desires. The excess flesh wraps itself around our emotional heart, crushing it with unneeded weight, constricting it's ability to give life.
 
Circumcision of the heart removes the desire for excess. It cuts off the fleshly desire for more than what we need; however, it is not the castration of the good passions that God has given us. It is the removal of lusts that interfere with our ability to love God and love
others.

So I pray:
  • "Lord, I love You more than this extra helping of food; help me to love You more!"
  • "Lord, I love You more than the praise of men; help me to love You more!"
  • "Lord, I love You more than this selfish fantasy; help me to love You more!"
  • "Lord, I love You more than my success; help me to love You more!"
  • "Lord, I love You more than this brand name shirt; help me to love You more!"
  • "Lord, I love You more than this TV show; help me to love You more!"
  • "Lord, I love You more than this (competing desire); help me to love You more!"
  • "Lord, circumcise my heart and circumcise the hearts of Your people. Be our First and Primary Love! Give us a greater love for others!"

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father