Is Jesus the ONLY Way to Heaven?
I read an interesting statistic: 60% of professing born-again Christians believe that Buddism, Islam or Hinduism are equally valid paths to heaven, no belief in Jesus required. This is in stark contrast to historical Christian doctrine. Is it a heresy or an evolution of thought?
Now I don't doubt the sincerity of people on either side of this topic, those who believe Jesus is the only way to heaven and those who believe in multiple paths. I have friends who I know desire spiritual growth who are not Christian and would not profess to be Christian. I don't doubt their sincerity. The truth is by it's very nature exclusive, so anything that is not true is false. So sincerity only goes so far, and if not aligned with the truth, some people are sincerely wrong. This is written with no disrespect for others, but it is meant to challenge thoughts that maybe people have accepted without thinking.
There are many other religious belief systems, and I don't plan to focus on any of them but one: Christianity and the historical doctrine that Jesus is the ONLY way to heaven, to salvation. An atheist needs to disprove the existence of any "god" and an agnostic takes the easy way out by choosing not to seek an answer, and I could spend volumes discussing each religious worldview, probably offending and misquoting other belief systems in an attempt to "prove Christianity", but if I could argue every reader into the Kingdom, someone else could argue them out of it. Yes, I believe there is a rational thought process behind my beliefs and that spiritual truth is not a matter of blind faith, but I also believe that a person can only find their way to heaven by knowing the God Who created them. It is not a matter of ascending to godhood or perfecting our lifestyle to please God.
At the heart of Christianity is the belief that God exists, is knowable, and that He has provided a way to be in eternal relationship with Him, recognizing who we are with respect to this perfect Being. If He is perfect, then philosophically there is only room for one perfect being, which means we are imperfect, but again, I'm not debating the existence of God or the nature of God. Instead, let me ask you to consider these questions.
The Truth - About Ourselves
- Are you a perfect or imperfect being?
- If God exists as an all-powerful, all-knowing, fully-loving (perfect) Being, Who wants a relationship with you, would you want to be in relationship with Him?
- Would your answer to question #2 change based on your answer to question #1?
- Would your answer change based on your religious background?
If we are honest with ourselves, we are not perfect, and if we are truly honest, we don't ALWAYS live up to our own definition of what is right: we have hurt others in ways we wish we hadn't, we don't take care of our environment, and we don't even do what is best for ourselves, giving into momentary desires that derail our best interests. At best, we live imperfect lives to what we recognize as ideal and hope that the either the good out-weighs the bad or that we can grow beyond our current short-comings.
Christianity recognizes these short-comings. We might sincerely desire to overcome these conflicting desires, but the reality is that we are not stronger than ourself. No matter how much I strive to live perfect life, a part of me fights against that, so I wrestle with myself for control, two equally matched opponents in one body. I my win today. I may even win repeatedly for weeks or months, but can I continue to do what is right for the rest of my life? And to make matters worse, what if I discover that what I thought was "right" was merely an illusion, a mistaken belief. I am not all-knowing, and no matter how hard I try, my understanding of what is right and how to apply it in every situation is imperfect.
"The Law" that YHWH provided to Moses is reported to be true and right, and Jesus is quoted as saying that He didn't come to abolish this perfect law, but to fulfill it, (Matt 5:17) But what does this even mean? I could go on tangent and ask why we should believe anything in the Bible, but instead will simply reference it as the foundation of Christian beliefs and suggest you explore that question if you feel the need. It's a good question, but not one I'll go deeper into right now.
The Truth - About Jesus
So understanding the truth about our own imperfections, regardless of our religious background / beliefs, what do we know about Jesus?
copyright ©2026 Mitchell Malloy (http://mitchellmalloyblogspot.com/)