What Now?

It’s easy to ask “What if…”, but that is meaningless and unhealthy. “What if…” is a scenario that never occurred. There’s a saying that hindsight is 20/20, but even then, no one has all the facts to accurately describe how life would be different. “What if…” is a way to criticize and fantasize about a reality that never materialized. I used to ask “What if…” and all it did was leave me wanting more than my current reality, regretting any actions that had contributed to it or resenting the absence of opportunity. “What if…” tears a person down and limits their vision to the possibilities that can emerge from today.

I’ve learned to ask healthier questions when I’m in in a hard situation: What have I learned? How should I respond? Where is God in my circumstances and how do I join Him in what He’s doing? I used to ask “What if…”, but I’ve learned to ask “What now?” 

Do I believe that God is working in the global COVID-19 situation? Yes. Absolutely. Do I believe that He is still Sovereign, in control of all things and is not surprised by this virus and the world’s response? I can sometimes give too much power to the giants in my life: a world-wide pandemic, economic crisis, biased reporting / propaganda, etc. These giants can seem too big to overcome, and in truth, they are beyond my ability. However, the question is not how do I compare to these giants. Rather, how does God compare to these things? 
We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God — those whom He has called according to His plan. (Romans 8:28) 
Take a look at Romans 8:28 and ask yourself: Who is orchestrating everything? It’s God, of course. That does not mean that God is the source of all evil and pain, but He will use it to bring about good things for His people. Evil is the absence of good just as darkness is the absence of light or cold the absence of heat. The physics of the universe are a revelation about God. God did not create evil, but He did allow it to happen in order to bring about some greater good. 

Heat, Light and Goodness are substantial; we notice their absence and long for their return. Life flows from the heat and light of the sun, and good is sometimes seen most clearly in contrast to the wickedness when goodness is absent. The same can be said about Hope. It is something real, something substantial, and we are left empty and hopeless when it is gone. I learned that J.R.R. Tolkein defined Hope as refusing to despair. I believe this to be true, and I believe that the fuel for Hope is Faith. 
Faith assures us of things we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot see. (Hebrews 11:1) 
Do we truly believe that God is working all things together for good? That dying to enter His Kingdom is preferable to all that this world has to offer? That God has a plan for each of us and we can join Him in the good that He is doing despite how big and scary the giants in this world seem to be? 

God can wipe this virus off the face of the earth in an instant. He can heal the infected, and He can use a physical death to bring about a spiritual transformation and eternal life. Dying is not a bad thing, but dying without entering the Kingdom of God is horribly permanent. He has a plan in this. He can use medicine to heal a person, and He can use prayer. He can use medicine and prayer. We can choose to listen to how big the giants are, or we can choose to live without fear and seek to join Him in what He is doing. 

So in today’s reality, the question is not “What if…” but “What now?” There is an exciting and uncharted path ahead for those not paralyzed by fear or despair. What is God calling you to now? 
Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks. Then God’s peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable. Practice what you’ve learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:6-9) 
copyright ©2020 Mitchell Malloy (http://mitchellmalloyblogspot.com/)

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father