The Long Wait

My timing and God’s timing have never quite been in sync: I was ready to graduate from college while still in high school; ready to get married before I had even met my wife or matured enough emotionally and spiritually to stay married; not ready to take ownership of my vocation, finding it easier to blame others; and not ready to write today’s blog. The truth is, I can be both overly eager, not taking the time God gives me to prepare, and slow to move out of my comfort zone. Fortunately, God’s timing is always perfect. 

We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God—those whom he has called according to his plan. ~ Romans 8:28

The truth of that Bible verse has been increasingly penetrating my heart since I first put my trust in Jesus, learning to trust Him more and more. It tells me that I don’t need to have it all figured out. I have my part, and God has His. I’m called to take ownership of my actions, to be responsible in doing what I know to be right and searching for greater understanding in what isn’t clear. God is responsible for the outcomes. So if something doesn’t happen the way I thought it should, then I can trust that God has a different plan and that it’s better than mine. 

Moses had a sense of God’s calling in his life, but like me, his timing and vision for it didn’t always line up with God’s. Moses killed an Egyptian who beat an Israelite, perhaps sensing his calling to deliver the Israelite slaves, yet later, when God spoke to Moses through the burning bush, he came up with excuses as to why God should consider someone else. To his credit though, Moses answered God’s calling. I can be like Moses, overly zealous to start something before I’ve prepared, yet to reluctant as the time draws closer because I’ve learned enough to understand the cost. 

Jesus didn’t hurry things or drag His feet. He was always walking in step with the Father. He certainly knew His calling as evidenced by His words when Mary and Joseph found their lost son at the temple, yet His ministry didn’t start until He was thirty. And He didn’t’ hesitate when it was time to go to the cross, even though He was so stressed that he sweat blood. He knew; He felt; but He never hurried or delayed. 

That is still true today. He will come for His Bride at just the right time. He does not tarry, though we may feel as if He does when we see the increase of wickedness and the convergence of the signs outlined in Scripture. He is also working in each of us so that we will be prepared for His Return, which is a good thing for both us and for those we love. 

The time is short. But what does that mean? We have no sense of God’s timing, but we know His timing is perfect. How can we say that “the time is short” when we are so often out of sync with His timing? 

We can trust that He is working for the good of all His people. It’s been a long wait by human standards, but we know the time is near when we look at all the Biblical signs. So we know the time is near… nearer than it’s ever been before now. Still, no man knows the day nor the hour, and it will come upon us “like a thief in the night”, suddenly… after waiting for so long!

The time is short, so we should live as if He could call us home today yet prepare ourselves to represent Him well for a longer wait. We should be prepared to leave and prepared to stand firm. Each day… every day… starting today. Because when He comes, He will come suddenly. 

copyright ©2022 Mitchell Malloy (http://mitchellmalloyblogspot.com/)

Christmas Short Story available for Kindle.

Popular posts from this blog

What is Alpha?

If I were an Atheist

Challenges of a Father